Crowhurst Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group
Notes of Meeting held on Monday 6 March 2017  
in Crowhurst Village Hall
 
Present:       Chris Davidson, Bruce Cripps, Ros Day (Chair), Tracy Hoad, Dave Howley, Diane Stainsby, Nicola Stell, Martin White, Simon Leader, Will Kemp, Willy Wilson, Ashley Wynn, Pat Buckle
 
Apologies:       Gareth Bright, Sonia Plato, Ann Wilson, District Councillor Gary Curtis
 
Ros Day opened the meeting and thanked everyone for attending.  
 
1.         Declarations of Interests
All present declared an interest as residents of Crowhurst .
 
2.         Minutes of Previous Meetings
2.1       Steering Group held on 6 February 2017
Item 4.5 Amendment – it was noted that the gunpowder walk booklet would probably be around 28-32 pages, subject to printing/layout constraints.
Item 8 Amendment – Will Kemp informed the meeting about the website Streetlife/NextDoor, not Willy Wilson.  Minutes were then approved.
2.2.      Matters Arising - None
           
3.         Task Groups Reports
3.1       Finance
Tracy Hoad reported that the second part of the grant needed to be spent by 31 March 2017 and it was important that all invoices were with her in time for authorisation by Parish Council at its meeting on 20 March 2017. The meeting outlined proposed expenditure from the budget including flipcharts, printing, postage, stationery, and items for the exhibition such as photographs, A3 folders, printing of the sites assessments, sites reports and Ashley Wynn’s report. Tracy Hoad urged members to spend budgeted money now as any unspent would have to be returned.
 
3.2       Land Use (Call for Sites)
Chris Davidson reported on the last meeting of this Group which was held on 2 March 2017. He informed the meeting that he had spoken to the Chairman of Battle Neighbourhood Planning Group who confirmed that Battle wanted to keep the gap with all its surrounding villages, including Crowhurst. Ros Day agreed to contact the Battle NP Group regarding the response to the Rother District Council’s (RDC) consultation.  Chris Davidson stated that Ashley Wynn and carried out assessments on the proposed sites, with only 2 left to do.  The Task Group agreed that folders of information would be available for residents to inspect at the exhibitions and these would include maps identifying sites, photographs of each site, Ashley Wynn’s assessment and summary of the pros and cons of each site.  Simon Leader agreed to produce a map for each site using the website to which Keith Robertson (Parish Clerk) had access. The Group thanked Ros Day for sourcing the maps. Residents would be asked to register their attendance on arrival at the exhibition and complete a feedback sheet on each site on which they wished to comment.  It was confirmed that at this stage only feedback of the sites would be required and that style, design, number of dwellings on each, community facilities and green spaces would be dealt with later. It was also agreed that the finalised Aims and Objectives of the NP would be included in the exhibitions.  A meeting with RDC was being arranged regarding its housing needs district-wide survey but it was proving frustrating getting a response from them, particularly on how seriously RDC take NPs in view of the fact that a NP liaison officer had still not been appointed following the departure of Norman Kwan.  Although the Steering Group had been informed that David Marlow would be the interim liaison officer, only recently had any response to emails been received. Martin White suggested that the money RDC saved on not having a liaison officer could be allotted to NP groups to assist them or to contract relevant experts. It was agreed that representatives from both the Steering Group and the Land Use Task Group should be present at all the exhibitions to respond to residents questions. Ros Day reported that there has been an offer to distribute flyers advertising the exhibitions to every household at least one week before the first one.  It was agreed that in view of other commitments Ros Day’s name would be removed from the flyers and replaced by Martin White as a contact person.  It was confirmed that the banners would be used as previously advertising the exhibitions and refreshments would be served at the all day and the evening exhibitions. It was suggested that local groups and the primary school could encourage parents to attend. The next meeting of the Task Group was on 20 March 2017. Pat Buckle agreed to arrange a rota for the exhibitions if members put forward their available times. It was also agreed to ask the LINK service if they would be able to assist residents who may find it difficult to get to the exhibitions. There was further discussion about the detailed planning for the Exhibitions and last minute details would be agreed at the Land Use Task Group meeting on the 20th March 2017.
 
3.3       Street Champions – Diane Stainsby had nothing to report as this group had not met.
 
3.4       Communications
            In the absence of Gareth Bright, Ros Day reported that Valerie Groves was updating the website and was looking to include old village photographs that any resident had that could be used. David Marlow, Principal Development Officer, RDC (interim NP Liaison Officer) was now included on the NP email list. 
 
 3.5      Research/Heritage
            Bruce Cripps reported on his visit to Powdermill house, as part of the gunpowder trail, where he received a photograph of the last working family to live there.  Nicola Stell reported she had followed through on the census information and can now name the Eldridge family.  Quotations for printing of the booklet had been requested but not yet received.  A report was awaited from the County Archaeology Officer regarding information in his talk and he had agreed to come back to Dave Howley when this was completed.   Other walks that had been suggested were regarding ironworks, particularly the Manor House, Furnace Cottage, Buckle Farm and Crowhurst Park.  Dave Howley concluded that the walks would cover foundry, gunpowder and iron workings and should attract people from other villages.  It is also hoped that it will strengthen links with the surrounding villages.
 
3.6.      Environment
            Will Kemp reported that a copy of the notes from the last meeting held on 17 February 2017 had been circulated to Steering Group members.  The Task Group had no view on the exhibitions as Ashley Wynn covered most aspects.  He stated that this Group may join up with the Research/Heritage Task Group.  Diane Stainsby reported on her work on the village Character Assessment required as part of the NP and circulated a draft checklist on which members were asked to comment.  It was stated that RDC had done a district-wide assessment which may be useful.  It was agreed to involve the other task groups in completing the document. Once the draft Assessment had been finalised the document would be incorporated into the planning.
 
3.7       Survey
            Ros Day stated that the next survey needed to be sent out in April/May and suggestions of what this should include were invited.  These consisted of results from the preferred sites, number of dwellings per site and their design/style, and other schemes, e.g. village hall, traffic, environmental questions, the spending of the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) money, as well as some questions following on from the first survey.  It was proposed that the original Survey Task Group be reconvened to work on this and Willy Wilson agreed to arrange.
 
3.8       Youth Group
            Ros Day reported that she had not received notification of representatives for the Youth Council proposed by Claverham College students and had emailed the Head Teacher. He had forwarded the request to students but no response had been received.
 
4.         Project Plan/Milestones
Ros Day had circulated the updated Project Plan and reported that there had been some slight slippage but it was hoped to have a draft plan by June 2017.  As there was clearly considerable work to be done at this critical stage, it was proposed that a request for volunteers would be made at the exhibitions.
 
5.         Risk Assessment
After some discussion, items to be included in this policy were workload, personnel, and lack of support from RDC.  Members were asked to let Ros Day know of anything further.
 
6.         Crowhurst News
The Steering Group had received a request to contribute to the printing costs of a free copy of the Crowhurst News. The Crowhurst News has agreed to trial this after it was suggested by the NP Group. After discussion it was thought it would be better, particularly if this were to become an annual free copy, that funding should be sought from the Parish Council. If this was not successful, the NP Group would try to help via its fundraising.
 
7.         Housing White Paper – Fixing Our Broken Housing Market
            CIL Report 2016
This item was for the information of members.  Ros Day suggested some points from this may need to be included in the next survey.
 
8.        Background Evidence - Covered in previous items.
 
9.         Dates of Next Meetings
9.1       Neighbourhood Plan Group – Sites Exhibitions:
            Sunday 26th March 10am - 5pm Village Hall
            Wednesday 29th March 7:30pm - 9:30pm Village Hall
            Friday 31st March - 9am - 10:45am St George’s Parish Room
            Saturday 1st April - 10am - 12 noon - Village Hall

9.2       Steering Group – Monday 3 April 2017 at 7.30pm in Crowhurst Village Hall.
The meeting closed at 9.40pm
  

WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO?​

This page contains all documents relating to the Consultation Process including village survey results and longlisted and shortlisted sites feedback. It will be updated as the process continues. 

​​ Useful links:
For more information on the Crowhurst Neighbourhood Plan application please see: 

For more information on our Neighbourhood Plan process and to access minutes of all previous meetings please see either of the links below:

Stay informed about your Neighbourhood Plan. To receive updates and notifications about progress, meetings and events c ontact us at:

 
To leave the mailing list at any time just send us an email with UNSUBSCRIBE in the title.  

DATA PROTECTION
All contact information you provide will be held securely and will NOT be shared with any other third-party organisation for any purposes including marketing or promotion of goods and services. For your full data protection rights information please click here

This site uses cookies. Most people know this term but don't really know what it means! So for a beautifully concise description of what cookies are and what they do, please click this link . (from the BBC website). If you do not consent to cookies please email us when you have finsihed using the website ans we can tell you how to remove any cookies that the website may have used during your visit, Thank you.